Venus Fly Trap

DANIEL BUMBARGER s008djb at discover.wright.edu
Tue Dec 5 14:50:00 EST 1995

On 4 Dec 1995, James Yorton wrote:

> In bionet.plants nhawke at dircon.co.uk (Nick Hawke) writes:
> : I have a small Venus Fly Trap which seems to doing well at the moment but since
> : there are no flies around now (Winter in England) I am concerned that it will
> : not be fed properly. It cannot be given nutrients through the soil. What can I
> : feed it instead ? I understand that ordinary meat contains too much salt and
> : it would be difficult tricking the plant into believing that it has caught
> : something.
> :

	Carnivorous plants generally will subsist without being fed.
Beyond being too high in grease and fat, hamburger meat will frequently
cause fungus to develope which can kill the leaf.  When watering, make
sure that your water is not hard as these plants are very sensitive to
that.  Use distilled if you don't know the hardness of your water.