Carolina Cherry Laurel - Laurus caroliniana

Julius Heinis jheinis at mailer.fsu.edu
Fri Dec 8 16:14:46 EST 1995

Michael L Roginsky (d_micro at ix.netcom.com) wrote:
: >I'm seeking information on chemical constituents and historical uses
: of
: >Carolina Cherry Laurel - Laurus caroliniana.
: >
: >Any information is greatly appreciated.  Thanks.................TIm
: >
: > The only info I have is from the hills folks...they say it is
: poisonous to humans. Deer eat it, but animals are sometimes deceptive
: indicators...............d_micro at ix.netcom.com
Mike. I just read the book on Edible Wild Plants. It says:
Carolina laurelcherry (Prunus caroliniana) fruits are somewhat toxic.
Reminds me of "somwhat pregnant"!!!!
   The toxic principle is hydrocyanic acid.
  Other species like Prunus serotina (Black "cherry) and P.virginiana
(chokecherry) can be  made into jelly and stuff. (but those fruit
are small!)
Cheerio! JULIUS

--
Greetings from J.H., the learning machine!