Forcing Deciduous Trees

Mark W Stephens markws at
Thu Dec 14 21:50:26 EST 1995

thanks for the reply, sorry, I left out a detail.  The tree is currently in a
dormant state.  I kept it in an unheated garage until about mid november.
Currently it is leafless, but the buds are beginning to enlarge.  I guess what
I am trying to do is decrease the dormant period to about 1 or 2 months,
rather than the normal 6 to 7 months.  I picked the sourwood because it is
native all the way south to northern Florida.  I was thinking, with my
untrained mind :), that a tree that naturally grows that far south may not
have the cooling requirements of a more northerly tree.  I wonder??????

   d_micro at L Roginsky ) wrote:
>>>Deciduos trees require a certain amount of cold weather to live
>>>through their annual cycles. The only ones I ever seen indoors were
>>>"bonsai" pines and one beech. The art of bonsai requires trimming
>>>roots every spring and repotting. This is the difference between
>>>tropical vs. temperate climate trees. Even in the tropics, certain
>>>trees shed most all foliage and sleep (rain season) just to wake-up
>>>for the hotter summer (and sunny) weather.

markws at (Mark W Stephens) - Cincinnati, OH  Zone 5