What to do w/tulip bulbs -too cold to plant

jacque greenleaf jacqueg at teleport.com
Sun Dec 17 00:21:51 EST 1995

In article <4ase0p$ed3 at synapse.bms.com>, tetervin at bms.com (Amy Tetervin) wrote:

> Please help! We were given a large number of tulip bulbs
> last week but it is winter here now and I don't think the
> plants will survive if I plant them outside now will they?
> Is there a way to store them so they will remain viable for the
> springtime? Thanks-Amy

You don't say where you are, but if your ground is diggable (not frozen or
too wet), go ahead and plant them.

Otherwise, plant them in containers, and put the containers outside in a
sheltered spot, or in an unheated garage/basement. When they start poking
their heads up above the ground, move them to a sunnier spot.

They should bloom regardless (the flower bud is already formed) - your
task after they bloom is to beef them up for next year. Cold in and of
itself shouldn't hurt them.

--
Jacque Greenleaf
Salem, Oregon