Info on poisonous plants in Pacific NW

kb ginko at ncia.com
Sun Dec 24 23:46:54 EST 1995

boomanjim at aol.com (BoomanJim) wrote:

>Aside from the many poisonous plant books already out there, and a chat
>with your local Poison Controll center, have you considered visiting with
>the native American healers? I have run into one or two who's mother or
>great aunt used to do this, so they spent their childhood rumaging through
>the woods looking for this or that herb.  The comment I also heard was,
>"No one wants to learn this anymore."  People are spending thousands to
>track the oral medical heritage of the native people of the Amazon.  Why
>not start in our own backyard?

I live in the Pacific NW and I am currently studing horticulture at a
local college... my hobby is the study of the native plants and their
uses by the native people.  I am finding that it is becoming (slowly)
a recognized art.  The one problem that we do have and as for the
people of the Amazon is that the information is/was lost  by not being
passed down for one reason or another.  But I do see more and more
people interested.  Thank you for your interest
gkb