Cactus is sick. Please HELP!

Slieve M'Daid ifjed at nmsua.nmsu.edu
Wed Dec 20 13:08:38 EST 1995

>We desperately need help for our big cactus (~4 ft. tall).

>I have tryed everything I could think of. I am watering it not more than
>once a month, I have changed the soil in the pot, BUT....

>The cactus is getting soft on top an shrinking, one of the parts became
>kind of mooshy and wet (brown spots) on the very bottom of the plant (0-2
>inches from the ground)

I'm not a cactus expert by any means, but once a month seems like a lot for
a cactus.  Some cacti also are sensitive to light.  I remember I once had
one that had always faced a particular direction and turning it would cause
it to die.  So when I moved, I had to make sure it faced the same aspect in
the new house.

"Nous sommes foutus.  Oui.  Comme toujours.  Oui.  C'est dommage."
Golz in "For Whom the Bell Tolls"