Spider Mite treatment

pcox at cox.nsac.ns.ca pcox at cox.nsac.ns.ca
Thu Feb 2 16:39:53 EST 1995

In article <3g61d6$6ts at news.primenet.com> flchris at primenet.com (Frank Christ) writes:
>I have spidermite infestation on a house plant. So far I have tried
>wiping each leaf and stem with cotton dipped in rubbing alcohol.  There
>seemed to be some improvement, but now they're coming back.  Any ideas?

Use Safer's Soap or mix up some soap flakes (Ivory Soap) @ about 5mL/L (
1tsp/quart) maximam, NOT DETERGENT and either spray it on or wipe down the
plant depending on the type of plant.  If you wipe it on rinse the plant
after a half hour.  Pay particular attention to where the leaf attaches to
stem and along major veins on the leaf.  DO NOT put the plant in sunlight
until the plant dries, it can cause burnt lesions.

You should do this weekly for a while.  Keep the plant sprayed with water or
try to increase humidity.  They (the mites) like it when it's dry and
stressed plants.  Keep up the watering and fertilizer.

Let me know how it turns out for ya!

TTYL,
                   '''          Plant Science Computer Technician
Patrick Cox       (o  o)        Nova Scotia Agricultural College
~!