Genetically engineered tomato

Brad Franzella wizz at ecst.csuchico.edu
Sat Feb 4 13:39:38 EST 1995

I would like to ask a a quesion for a friend who does not have USEnet
access..  she is doing a paper on ethics of science...  she chose genetic
engineering of the tomato...  and this seemed to be the closest group to
that topic...

Send me any information you can muster on this topic or referr me to any
Telnet or FTP site with info (or WWW)...

Please send via E-mail... thanks in advance...

This is your chance to show some liberal professor who screams rape of the
natural world that science is both ethical and safe... and that we KNOW
what we are doing (Well in most cases)... and that this tomato won't end
the world as we know it from some new disease created with (or as a
result of) the tomato...  (heck we get half our drugs from altering the
DNA of bacteria.. I've personally made a colony of E-coli resistant to
amphacilin... this is the same type of thing with the tomato, right?)

As far as I remember it was engineered to have a longer shelf life... and
become resistant to pests.. something to do with the secretion of a
substance within the tomato?

Thanks

--
| Clear skies and God speed,  \    Amateur astronomer on the loose..........|
| Brad Franzella              \   Wannabe physicist acting up...............|