Tissue Culture

Paul Stewart stewart at bud.peinet.pe.ca
Tue Feb 7 14:46:34 EST 1995

	Call SIGMA Chemical at 1-800-325-3010 and ask for the Plant
Tissue Culture catalog.  It contains a compendium of TC terms, detailed
list of basic and specialized media ingredients, and a nice set of notes
on basics such as sterilization of material and use of cytokinins.
E-mail me direct about your specific plans.  I have been fooling with TC
of herbs aand ginseng off and on for a couple of years and can advise on
cheap sources of media ingredients (fertilizer and herbicide companies,
for one), as well as media you can try for the species I've tried to culture.
	I am interested mainly in herb micropropagation, which isn't
quite as rigorous as true tissue culture, but would like to try apple
rootstock and asparagus in submerged culture (fish tank), embryo culture
of ginseng to either break seed dormancy or produce callus tissue for
encapsulation in calcium alginate and production of artificial seed. If
any of this interests you, feel free to contact me with suggestions,
questions, etc.  That goes for anyone else who managed to wade through
this mildly tedious monologue.

	ABIOGEN c\o Paul Stewart  <stewart at bud.peinet.pe.ca>
	RR #2 Vernon Bridge
	Prince Edward Island