aquatic plants

photuris at onramp.net photuris at onramp.net
Wed Feb 8 21:10:57 EST 1995

                        ! Action Alert !

     The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers Aquatic Plant Control Program
may be completely eliminated from the 1996 Federal Budget (beginning
October 1995) if we don't take action now.  We need your help to keep this
very important program.  Please contact members of your Congressional
Delegation by February 10th and let them know the importance of this
program to your state, home town, business, or lake.

     The Corp's Aquatic Plant Control Program provides millions of dollars
in matching funds for aquatic plant control programs in many states and
provides the only national technology base in the field of aquatic plant
biology, ecology, and management.  Without these funds, control efforts will
have to be borne by states and all national research and coordination efforts
will cease.  The loss of these funds represents a major threat to your natural
resources and economics.

     The Aquatic Plant Control Program has been "redlined" from the
President's proposed budget for Fiscal Year 1996 and can only be restored
by Congressional action.  The Subcommittee on Energy and Water
Development of the House of Appropriations Committee (see attached list)
will hold a hearing on February 21st to review the Corps of Engineers
budget.  This is our last opportunity to save the APC Program.

     Act today!  Mail, call or fax your requests to maintain this program
to Subcommittee members as well as your Congressmen and Senators
now.  This is one of the most devastating events ever to affect our
profession, and the potential adverse impacts to the quality and use of our
nation's water resources is enormous.  Please contact me if you need
additional information.

                         Steven de Kozlowski, President
                         Aquatic Plant Management Society
                         803/737-0800

                    HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES
                   COMMITTEE ON APPROPRIATIONS
          SUBCOMMITTEE ON ENERGY AND WATER DEVELOPMENT

Republican

* Mr. John T. Myers, IN, Chairman
2372 Rayburn House Office Bld.
Washington, DC 20515-1407