How to terminate poplars in a treefriendly way ???

Thu Feb 9 12:13:48 EST 1995

In article <Pine.SOL.3.91.950207153804.26321B-100000 at bullwinkle>,
Elizabeth Winter <ez052136 at peseta.ucdavis.edu> writes:
>On Mon, 6 Feb 1995, Frank_Rademaker wrote:
>> Can anyone tell me how I environmentally correct kill poplar trees.
>>I heard of a beetle that causes the effect, but don't know how to get it.
>>If anyone can give me the proper SERIOUS solution ? For those who CAN give
>>me the solution: $75 reward!
>> Thanks in advance....
>> Frank
>>
>Keep the $75 (unless you care to help out a needy grad student)....but
>DON'T use the beetle to kill the poplar trees.  Just cut them down.  If
>you want to kill the trees and get rid of them, there is no tree-friendly
>way.  Think of it this way - would you rather be shot in the head or wither
>away from cancer?

Let's not be hasty. It depends on which trees you want to be friendly to.
Yes, insects are terrible when it comes to trying to restrict biocontrol to a
certain area, but there *are* other bioagents to consider.  A local company
here in B.C., and at least two others elsewhere in Quebec and the Netherlands,
are working to commercialize a fungal agent called Chondrostereum purpureum.
It controls hardwood stump resprouting, but only the trees that you wound and
inoculate are killed.  Even if two clone stems are touching each other, only
the stem that you wound and inoculate is killed.  Currently, this agent is
mostly targeted for utility rights-of-way and control of hardwoods in backlog
conifer reforestation areas, and it will be a while before it is registered.
However, there will probably be a home market some day, if several concerns
for that market can be addressed- you could use this near apple trees as long
as you aren't pruning them at the time, but the fungus does cause silverleaf
in apple, and orchard owners will naturally want to have a decent safety
margin.  The list goes on...  Suffice it say, a lot of research on this agent
has been conducted at this center.  However, you probably won't want to wait
the five years or so that it will probably take before this stuff shows up on
your hardware store shelf.  If you wanted to experiment, I suggest getting a
good fungi I.D. book with C. purpureum in it, finding some of this mushroom
(fresh, not dead) in the woods  (it is comsmopolitan in temperate climates,
and fruits during cold wet weather) putting pieces on the fresh cut stumps,
and covering it over with paraffin tape or the like.  Your tree may take two
years or so to die, and may attempt to resprout, but if the fungus survives
the transfer, the whole stump eventually dies.	-RSW

  RICHARD WINDER                    Title: Research Scientist
  Canadian Forest Service           Phone: (604) 363-0773