Need help

Bill Purves purves at muddcs.cs.hmc.edu
Thu Feb 9 15:22:16 EST 1995

><Pine.A32.3.91c.950203030249.28929A-100000 at homer17.u.washington.edu>,
>cilly at u.washington.edu says...
>>

>>Can anyone tell me what a Cinchona(tree) is and is its purpose?
>>
>>ditto for an amaranth?

Pardon me if this is an old message and has already been answered
sufficiently.  I see that amaranth has been covered.  Cinchona
is a genus of South American shrubs and trees whose bark yields
quinine and other alkaloids of medical interest.

It may be useful to mention a source of information that people
often overlook as we browse through our technical libraries for
such information: try looking in your dictionary.  My big
dictionaries are at home, and all I have here in my office is an
old American Heritage Dictionary, New College Edition (i.e.,
the "short version")--but it has fine, useful entries for both
"cinchona" and "amaranth."  This comment is NOT meant as a
flame.  Rather, I'm recommending a resource that contains lots
of good stuff one might expect to find only in more specialized
sources.

(bill)

William K. Purves
Department of Biology