Bizarre Transgene Idea?

Chris Jones Chris_Jones at nottingham.ac.uk
Thu Feb 16 14:25:55 EST 1995

In article <3htugf$aou at emory.mathcs.emory.edu> medtjm at bimcore.emory.edu (T. J. Murphy) writes:
>From: medtjm at bimcore.emory.edu (T. J. Murphy)
>Subject: Bizarre Transgene Idea?
>Date: 15 Feb 1995 22:16:47 GMT

>Problem:  I need massive quantities of a mammalian integral membrane protein.
>          Bacteria can't handle the protein.

>Question: Could I make a transgenic tomato to overexpress my protein as a
>          source for purification?  Has this been attempted?  Any pro's
>          or con's?

If yeast don't work then think about baculoviruses but I am not sure how they
tolerate membrane proteins. I guess you know that membrane proteins are amongt
the most difficult to express....

Oh, Yes. Just how much is massive? and whats the coli expression problem. You
could try a fusion in coli, fusions often lack the lethality that some prots
show. Good luck

Chris Jones