Bizarre Transgene Idea?

Patrick O'Neil patrick at corona
Wed Feb 15 21:29:29 EST 1995

On 15 Feb 1995, T. J. Murphy wrote:

> Problem:  I need massive quantities of a mammalian integral membrane protein.
> 	  Bacteria can't handle the protein.
>
> Question: Could I make a transgenic tomato to overexpress my protein as a
> 	  source for purification?  Has this been attempted?  Any pro's
> 	  or con's?

I am not really well acquainted with plants, at least as far as for the
purpose of an expression system, but I could suggest, assuming you haven't
considered it yet for some reason, the yeast Saccharomyces cerevisiae before
going on to the more complex and difficult.

It's certainly quicker than a tomato, if there is nothing to prevent its
expression or folding.