Sexual Mimicry in Orchids

Jeffrey Kirby ez043438 at jane.ucdavis.edu
Tue Feb 14 11:16:19 EST 1995

I already asked this of the rec.gardens.orchids group, but my thirst for
knowledge and sources remains unsatiated (I didn't get enough responses).
There are a number of orchids that mimic the female form of the
pollinating insect and produce certain chemical attractants, resulting in
pseudocopulation with the insect resulting in pollination of the orchid.
I have a list of around sixteen Australian genera in which some or all
the species do this, and then there's Ophrys in Europe, and Trichoceros
in the Andes and an Oncidium species (what a run-on sentence). What I
want is the names of more orchids that display sexual mimicry and sources
where I can get such plants.

--
Jeffrey A. Kirby
ez043438 at dale.ucdavis.edu