Boston Fern (nephrolepis) help!!

Elizabeth Winter ez052136 at peseta.ucdavis.edu
Mon Feb 20 17:24:16 EST 1995

On 19 Feb 1995, Flex13 wrote:

> I am a novice indoor plant grower.  I recently purchased a boston fern.
> The temp in my apt. is 68-70 F.  I run a humidifier, so it is not dry.
> The fern gets no direct sunlight, but plenty of indirect.  I mist it every
> day and water it only when dry.
> Why do I keep loosing leaves(fronds?)?

I've never had the appropriate spot to grow a Boston Fern - they need
perfect everything!  But it is natural for the fern to lose fronds
periodically.  New fiddleheads pop up right behind them.  Unless you are
losing a majority of fronds and/or the plant looks sick.  Don't worry
about it.
Could it be possible that you are giving it too much water?  I don't know
what the right amount would be, but you don't want the fern to rot. >