Gnat inundation

Beverly Erlebacher bae at oci.utoronto.ca
Wed Feb 22 13:59:47 EST 1995

In article <3i81hh$5kb at newsbf02.news.aol.com> janwade at aol.com (Jan Wade) writes:
>Please post suggestions about how to deal with gnats that are active on
>indoor plants, particularly those plants that are in non-standard soil
>mixtures such as peat and moss.  I have heard of a product called
>Knock-Out Gnats but this requires soaking the medium and I wouldn't want
>it to affect the plants.

This question is probably more appropriate for rec.gardens.

Briefly, fungus gnats are usually entirely harmless but somewhat of
a nuisance in the house.  If you can keep the surface of the soil dry
most of the time, the adults won't lay eggs in it.  Putting sand or
similar material on top helps.  I've also found that those yellow sticky
traps sold for controlling white flies are even more attractive to the
fungus gnats.

I believe there is now a biological control for fungus gnats available,
but I don't remember whether it is a strain of Bt or a type of nematode.

Hope this helps.

Beverly Erlebacher
Toronto, Ontario Canada