Ephedra viridis

glass catherine e c-glass at uxa.cso.uiuc.edu
Fri Feb 24 13:03:37 EST 1995

Greetings from the U.S.  Ephedra is low growing twiggy shrub(shrub or
tree-like) that is
native to the dry desert regions of the western U.S.  The Jepson Manual
lists 7 species in Calif. alone.  E. viridis grows in sagebrush scrub,
creosote scrub and pinyon/juniper woodlands.  It occurs in dry sunny
places in California, the Great Basin (Nevada and Utah) to Colorado.  Its
common name is Mormon tea.  It actually does make a nice tea and I have
read that the native western people used it.  It seems like it would be
tough to grow.  Hope this isn't redundant and is a help.  Cathy Glass