Will broom corn breed with seed corn?

klier at cobra.uni.edu klier at cobra.uni.edu
Mon Feb 27 17:41:09 EST 1995

In article <3ir966$68p at vixen.cso.uiuc.edu>, egrunden at prairienet.org (Eric Grunden) writes:

> I live in an apartment complex that borders seed corn
> production and research fields. For this reason we are
> not allowed to plant corn in our gardens. I would like
> however, to plant broom corn, but don't know if it poses
> a pollen threat to the seed corn. Does it?   ]

Broom corn is a strain of Sorghum bicolor with very long inflorescence
branches.  There have been some experimental crosses with other
Andropogonoid grasses, but corn hybrids won't be occuring under
field conditions.  You will, however, make the corn folks
very nervous if they think you're raising shattercane, a
weedy sorghum that is heck to get out of cornfields by chemical
means.

Because your broomcorn will closely resemble corn in its vegetative
state, you may get "what for" anyhow.  I'd suggest you talk
your plans over with the corn folks, and save everyone some
high blood pressure.

Kay Klier   klier at cobra.uni.edu