Care & Feeding of the Avocado

Wnash at sunquest.com Wnash at sunquest.com
Tue Jan 3 11:28:20 EST 1995

Dorothy, when I lived on Divisadero Streen in SF way back in the eary 70's, I
took an avacado in a similar state as yours and just planted it in the back
yard. Despite the bitter cold fog, in about six years we were plucking fairly
good sized fruit of a tree that had finally started to look healthy. Since
selling the house, the new owners have told me the power company comes around
every year to whack that tree back from the power lines and also harvest any
available fruit.

I don't see why you couldn't try the same thing. Just make sure the tree is
planted where it will receive full sun and reflected warmth like the south
side of a fence. It will lose almost all of its leaves after transplanting, but
given modest attention and a little Schultz-Instant liquid plant food whenever
you water it, you should be able to acheive good results. Note: There are many
varieties of avacados. The shiney green ones don't fair so well in the Bay
area. However, the big black green ones with the rough skin grow very well.

Good luck.