When's the best time to prune?

ANDERSON, MATTHEW C mca575a at summa.tamu.edu
Fri Jan 6 12:44:00 EST 1995

Having gotten conflicting reports from various sources, I put the problem to
the assembled knowledge here: when is the best time of year to prune woody
shrubs and trees?

Assume that the climate is temperate with recognizeable seasons (unlike, to
my mind, Texas), rainfall is ``average'' (i.e. not the desert or prairies,
nor a wetland), and the plants in question are in good health and of various
types, mainly native conifers and deciduous trees, as well as domesticated
lilac and honeysuckle.

What I've been told so far is that it should be done in the fall after the
leaves have fallen, that it should be done as early in the growing season as
possible, and that it should be done in the summer.  Fall is best because
the plant is dormant and damage (trauma?) is thus minimized; spring is best
because it gives all season to heal the wound; summer is best because the
wound has some time to heal and less chance of picking up a fungal
infection.

What's the truth?

Your help is appreciated.

Matt Anderson