Kombucha Tea Mushroom

Bruce Micales bmicales at facstaff.wisc.edu
Fri Jan 6 22:36:10 EST 1995

>From: bae at oci.utoronto.ca (Beverly Erlebacher)
>Subject: Re: Kombucha Tea Mushroom

>The catalog says: "The kombucha culture has been shown to contain
>the following organisms:  Bacterium xylinum, Bacterium xylinoides,
>Bacterium gluconicum,.......  Acetobacter ketogenum",

Hmmm, catalog needs to update the names of the bacteria....Bacterium is a VERY
old (1800) genus name.  Acetobacter ketogenum...I worked with Acetobacter for
several years, plus I did a literature review...there is no such "beast" (in
the records at least)

I suspect that given the names, Bacterium xylinum, Bacterium xylinoides, and
Acetobacter ketogenum, these are a species of Acetobater.  Bacterium
gluconicum maybe a species in Gluconobacter (closely related to Acetobacter).

I am putting together a newsletter that will deal with Acetobacter and
Gluconobacter (called as a group: the Acetic Acid Bacteria), however, if
anyone has further info on how Acetobacter may play a role in this tea, I
would appreciate hearing from you.

Comments and questions maybe posted here (of course) or sent to me at:
bmicales at facstaff.wisc.edu.

Please Note:  This is not a "flame".  Just passing along some information.

Thanks

Bruce Micales

Bruce Micales
bmicales at facstaff.wisc.edu
Department of Anatomy
Amateur Radio : WA2DEU
Packet PBBS : WA2DEU at WD9ESU.#SCWI.WI.USA.NOAM

"His eyes wide open!"