Tips on Keeping a Poinsettia Alive

kcurr kcurr at cyberspace.com
Sat Jan 7 22:35:30 EST 1995

In article <3eeq7d$2g3 at news1.is.net>, fgo at user1.IS.NET () wrote:

> Hello! I have a rather large poinsettia plant left over from Christmas,
> and would like to keep it as a regular plant during the rest of the year.
> Does anyone have any tips? (Light amount, acidity/moisture of soil, type of
> fertilizer, etc) Its a large plant its starting to wilt (from the heat
> and low humidity, I gather)

As soon as they start to lose their leaves, you should cut the plant back
about 1/2 inch above a node. This node will send out your new branches on
for next year, so keep this in mind as you are trimming your plant back.
You could also do it selectively, starting now, so that you don't wind up
with a skeleton for several months, which is what happened to me!

I've kept my plants in their original pots and they seem to be okay with
it. They like a lot of light, and I feed mine Peter's houseplant food.
They don't like overly moist soil, so I let mine dry out a bit between
waterings, then I really soak the pot throughly. A friend of mine says she
waits for them to "ask" for water by wilting a weenie bit.

There is a time table to follow in the fall for getting their leaves to
turn color for Christmas. It was kind of a bother so we don't do it
anymore and let them do it naturally in the early spring/summer.

Good luck!
Kaycee