China Doll

Alison Evans aevans at castor.fccc.edu
Fri Jan 13 14:48:28 EST 1995

In article <3f4far$jbb at news.ycc.yale.edu> harris at corona.chem.yale.edu (ken harris) writes:

>I have a question for any houseplant experts out there: Have you
>heard of the China Doll?  I have one, but I don't know what the
>scientific name is, or if it goes by any other common names.
>It is very nice, with many finely cut compound leaves, and it
>has woody stems.  It does very well outside in the summer, but
>when I bring it in in the winter it tends to dry up often and the
>leaves get pale.  How should I care for it?  Should it be repotted?
>Should I fertilize it?

	The plant usually called China Doll is a Radermachera _____
(can't remember the species name).  It needs to be kept fairly
moist and in a brightly lit place.  I am surprised that yours does
well outside if it's in direct sunlight.  I keep mine in filtered
light in an east window year-round.  Fertilize with a general
houseplant food every 4 weeks or so.  Don't let it dry out, and
mist it regularly.
	Hope this helps.  Good luck.