China Doll

Alison Evans aevans at castor.fccc.edu
Sat Jan 14 15:06:10 EST 1995

In article <3f6gqr$j21 at nntp1.u.washington.edu> kantola at u.washington.edu (Angeline Kantola) writes:
>In article <3f4far$jbb at news.ycc.yale.edu>,
>ken harris <harris at corona.chem.yale.edu> wrote:
>>
>>I have a question for any houseplant experts out there: Have you
>>heard of the China Doll?  I have one, but I don't know what the
>>scientific name is, or if it goes by any other common names.
>
>I've been unsuccessful in finding a scientific name for this
>plant as well, and welcome anyone's input...this plant
>looks kind of ficus-like to me, and it's about as fussy
>as ficus can be, so my guess is it's part of the same group.

	After posting part of the name earlier, I went home and looked up the
plant.  It's full name is Radermachera sinica.  It may also be found as R.
Danielle, or Stereospermum suaeolens or S. sinicum. Another common name is
House Ash because of its resemblance to an ash tree.  It is not from the same
family as ficus, though I agree that its behavior is similar at times.  One big
difference is that the China Doll needs to be kept moist.  One of my books also
says that it will drop leaves in response to exposure to cigarette smoke.