China Doll

Angeline Kantola kantola at u.washington.edu
Fri Jan 13 13:29:47 EST 1995

In article <3f4far$jbb at news.ycc.yale.edu>,
ken harris <harris at corona.chem.yale.edu> wrote:

>I have a question for any houseplant experts out there: Have you
>heard of the China Doll?  I have one, but I don't know what the
>scientific name is, or if it goes by any other common names.

I've been unsuccessful in finding a scientific name for this
plant as well, and welcome anyone's input...this plant
looks kind of ficus-like to me, and it's about as fussy
as ficus can be, so my guess is it's part of the same group.

>It is very nice, with many finely cut compound leaves, and it
>has woody stems.  It does very well outside in the summer, but
>when I bring it in in the winter it tends to dry up often and the
>leaves get pale.  How should I care for it?  Should it be repotted?
>Should I fertilize it?

My experience with this plant is that it gets very fussy when
its conditions change--watering schedule, amount of light--
so I can imagine a drastic leaf drop when it's brought in
in the winter. I say: let it go through its agonies from the
move, and then keep it where it is all year round. Repot it
if the roots are coming out the bottom of the pot. It'll benefit
from occasional fertilizing (once every 2 weeks or month, like
any other houseplant). Don't give up--these plants *are* real
beauts.

Best of luck,
Angie Kantola