cereal aerial roots

Thorben Lundsgaard kvlxthlu at unidhp.uni-c.dk
Tue Jan 17 10:02:02 EST 1995

koebner (koebner at BBSRC.AC.UK) wrote:
: I have managed to create a hybrid between common wheat and lyme grass
: (leymus mollis) which has the (i think) rather unique properties that it:
: 1. branches at almost every node
: 2. is almost indeterminate, and when a flower does emerge, it almost
: mangles itself with the effort
: 3. forms aerial roots at many nodes, even 2 meters above ground (which
: actually allows easy propagation, which is just as well, given that the
: flowers are sterile!).

: Neither wheat nor leymus do any of these things as far as I know.  The
: question is, do any other grasses, even only remotely related to cereals,
: do it?

: Robert Koebner

Agropyrum repens do some of these things (underground).

Thorben