River Mallow - Want southern variant

Cynthia Donahey cdonahey at freenet.columbus.oh.us
Wed Jan 25 20:39:34 EST 1995

Years ago, I read a paper on the two types of river mallow. There is a
northern variety (pink with a darker center) and a southern variety (white
with a dark center).  I have the northern variety in my flower garden. It
makes a very choice perennial. I grow it with queen of the prairie,
loosestrife, and anemones.   I'm still adding.  I would like some of the
southern variety.  From the paper I read (from some old publication of the
Ohio Historical Society, if I remember correctly), the southern variety is
cold hardy.  Apparently, it's just a chance distribution.  I would be
willing to trade.   The plant doesn't  grow as high in the garden (maybe 4
feet t or so) as it does in wet areas, but it makes a nice plant. It is very
floriferous.  It really makes me wonder about all those new varieties of
mallow and whether they would grow in swamps. .

Cindy