Eucalyptus in California

Remington Stone rem at helios.UCSC.EDU
Sat Jan 28 19:32:40 EST 1995

Hi,

I'm not a biologist, so if this is the wrong group, kindly direct me
to a more appropriate one.

I grew up in southern California, and heard various tales of the
introduction of the Eucalytus to the state.  The one I liked the best
was that they were planned for making ships masts, but it was found
(too late) that they split too easily when dry.

But now I work at Lick Observatory of the University of California
in the mountains east of San Jose, and I'd like to know the truth of
a new story.  That is, the man who financed the founding of this
place, James Lick (same guy for whom the James Lick freeway, Hwy 101
south out of SF is named) brought the first Eucalyptuses (is that the
correct plural?) here in the mid-nineteenth century.  He is also
reputed to have imported x tons of Australian soil, just to ensure
they got off to a good start.  Clearly, they did that!

So...can anyone confirm this story?  I'd sure appreciate a reference
as well.

Thanks!

Rem