seed germination and fertilizer

Ellen Sutter egsutter at UCDAVIS.EDU
Tue Jan 31 23:46:36 EST 1995

On 31 Jan 1995, CheeseNips wrote:

> hello!  I am trying to help a student  determine if there is any
> difference in seed germination when fertilizer is used.  If anyone can
> help, it would be greatly appreciated.  It is science project time.
> Thank you.

You might find a difference if the osmotic potential of the soil matrix
changes sufficiently with the addition of fertilizer.  If you can find an
osmometer, you can measure the osmotic potential or water potential of
soil with different amounts of fertilizer added (of course it has to be
in solution) and then find that treatment that prevents seed
germination.  Alternately you can try PEG>
	Ellen Sutter