Pollen DNA Extraction Protocol

Erica J Simel ejsimel at SACAM.OREN.ORTN.EDU
Tue Jan 31 08:42:02 EST 1995

Dear Netters,
    I am in need of information pertaining to a DNA extraction protocol
from gymnosperm and angiosperm pollen.  I am a SERS fellow working at
ORNL for a few months, and need intact genomic DNA for a study on the
effects of UV-B radiation.  My current methods involve a
cellulase/hemicellulase/pectinase enzyme digestion, for which I have no
reference protocol, and a microwave extraction procedure.  Neither of
these techniques have been successful in rupturing the pollen, and the
DNA that I have obtained appears to be degraded.  Any helpful info or
protocols?