Plant Reproduction and Ultraviolet Radiation

Paul Stewart stewart at bud.peinet.pe.ca
Sat Jul 1 09:44:15 EST 1995

In article <1995Jun27.222351.1552 at news.etc.bc.ca> sweirich at cln.etc.bc.ca (Sophie Weirich) writes:

>My name is Sophie Weirich.  I am doing research on the effects of
>ultraviolet radiation on plant reproduction.  If you have any information
>on this topic please contact me.

Hi Sophie:
	I have a small tissue culture lab in my house, used right now for
establishing local medicinal and rare herbs. In my folklore end of info
searching, I have come across a few mentions of horse chestnut being used
as a sun block by Native North Americans. I believe it was a paste made
of the ground leaves and nuts. I have done a UV absorption scan on a
clarified extract of some leaves, and found a trough in the UV region.
Just mentioning this in case this is a general phenomenon in trees or
whatever. Good luck.

ABIOGEN c/o Paul Stewart
Prince Edward Island
CANADA  <stewart at cycor.ca>