indoor plant pests - questions

rene muslin rmuslin at wesleyan.edu
Tue Jul 11 10:22:40 EST 1995

Maarten and all,

some left over questions,

The phloem takes the nutrients to the plant and the xylem gets rid of the
waste, (is this right? - just making sure).

------------------------------

>submerge the pot in water for a day or two. This should kill most of
>them.

Some assumptions of mine that i'd like to confirm:

1) submerge in lukewarm water?
2) just submerge the pot not the entire plant, (right)?
3) the ficus will suffer some from staying in the water for so long i
presume.  How much damage should i expect?
4) How can i prevent the soil in the pot from draining out or should it
stick to the roots.  If it does begin to drain out should i just leave it
and add more soil after the process?

---------------------------

>Pets ???, They are really interesting animals, apart from the fact that
>they are small they totally look like nice wooly sheep or childern toys.

I must admit, they are really cute.  Do you think stuffed plant insects
would sell over teddy bears?

----------------------------

Another question:

In the past couple of days, these small little flying insects, (they
remind me of fruit flies), have been flying around the pot of the ficus.
 I assume it has something to do with the little bugs i saw before
because none of my other plants that i had before have them.  Three
plants that i just got from a plant stand also have them though.  (Two
zinnias and one dusty miller).  What do you think these are?  I can't
find any description in the small section dedicated to plant pets in my
house plant book.  I've seen them crawling in and out of the hole at the
bottom of my pot and flying around the top layer of soil.  Will these
also be killed off by submerging the plant in water?  Can i submerge the
zinnias and dusty miller too?  Should they all be submerged in different
containers?

Thanks for the pointer to the site.  I'm going to check it out later
today.

fuzzies to Maarten and any others who take the time to respond,

rene