Are Morning Glories Toxic?

larson eric elarson at ux1.cso.uiuc.edu
Tue Jul 11 21:31:21 EST 1995

chammie at aol.com (Chammie) writes:

>I was wondering if morning glories (Ipomoea) are toxic...they are prolific
>in my yard and I was thinking of moving some into my reptile enclosure.
>The reptile in the cage is omnivorous and will snack on any plant in
>there...I presently have a hibiscus and pothos in there.  All the books I
>have read don't have the toxicity data on Ipomoea...Thanks!

I don't know if the leaves and branches are toxic.  However, the seeds are,
so I'd suggest staying away from it.  The other problem is the viney growth
habit.  If the animal munched the very slight stem, the entirety of the
plant's vegetative growth would "disappear."

--
Eric Larson                  | University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
USDA/Agronomy                | 190 PABL; 1201 W. Gregory; Urbana, IL 61801