How do plants know they are dead?

Chris Jones mbzcaj at unicorn.ccc.nottingham.ac.uk
Thu Jul 13 13:10:50 EST 1995

Hello,
          Just an odd query. When can you say that a plant is dead and at what
point does a plant realise? What I am getting at is that I am interested in
getting mRNA from plant tissue and when you use animal tissue as soon as the
animal or tissue is "dead" the mRNA begins to decay so you plunge the material
into lq N2 asap. Do I need to do that with plants (developing seeds actually)?
or am I OK untill a critical level of water/sugars etc.etc is reached.
Anything which would prevent me having to lug a tank of lqN2 into a field!

Many Thanks....

Chris Jones