Need wildflower ID help

wojcik wojcik at pmsrs4.pd9.ford.com
Tue Jul 18 11:28:36 EST 1995

	I'm hoping there's a wildflower expert out there who can help me ID
a plant I found in northern Michigan. I was driving through a state forest
in the upper peninsula and noticed these flower all along the south side of
the road. I finally pulled over and took a close look. These flowers were
all over the place, and I noticed they had a very nice color and fragrance.
I found some seeds and gently lifted two plants (there were literally millions
of them) and they are doing nicely in my backyard.
	Here's my best description of them in the hope they can be ID'd:

	Leaves: Very downy, about 4-5 inches long, 1/2 inch wide; leaves
		form a rosette
	Flowers: Smallish, 1/4 inch across; reddish-brown in color; sort of
		look like a smaller, copper-colored version of a dandelion;
		Very nice fragrance ... similar to heliotrope to my nose:
		flowers are on a long stalk, about 5-6 inches tall
	Seeds: Like a small version of dandelion seeds; each has a parachute.
	Roots: Fibrous, about 4-5 inches long

Hope someone can ID this one. It's very nice and I hope the plants/seeds
make it in my garden.

Any idea on why it only grew on the south side of the road? It likes strong
light?

 Thanks in advance.

- Al Wojcik
  Allen Park, Mich.