symbiotic house plants

Jan Wiebe u36049 at uic.edu
Wed Jul 19 11:01:04 EST 1995

I am getting married in three weeks, and because we can't do a tree planting,
we were thinking about transplanting two complimentary plants into one pot as
a part of the ceremony.  However, after checking with several botanical
gardens and plant shops, I am not sure there is such a thing.  In the outdoors
there are many  examples such as corn and beans producing more when they are
planted together becasue the corn stalks give the beans something to climb and
the beans give the corn nitrogen.  However, corn and beans would not last very
long in my urban apartment.  At the very least, I am looking for two plants
that won't kill each other in the long run when planted in one pot for the
obvious symbolic reasons. Thanks

-Jan Wiebe                        jwiebe1 at uic.edu