symbiotic house plants

Brendan A. Niemira niemirab at pilot.msu.edu
Thu Jul 20 19:42:00 EST 1995

In Article <u36049.2.000413A6 at uic.edu> "u36049 at uic.edu (Jan Wiebe)" says:
> I am getting married in three weeks, and because we can't do a tree planting,
> we were thinking about transplanting two complimentary plants into one pot as
> a part of the ceremony.  However, after checking with several botanical
> gardens and plant shops, I am not sure there is such a thing.  In the outdoors
> there are many  examples such as corn and beans producing more when they are
> planted together becasue the corn stalks give the beans something to climb and
> the beans give the corn nitrogen.  However, corn and beans would not last very
> long in my urban apartment.  At the very least, I am looking for two plants
> that won't kill each other in the long run when planted in one pot for the
> obvious symbolic reasons. Thanks
>
> -Jan Wiebe                        jwiebe1 at uic.edu

Try Hawaiian scheffelaria and a rubber tree; I've had those in the same pot
for several years, grew fine.... until someone stole it off of my front porch.
:-(

Brendan A. Niemira           |   "You know your Shelley, Bertie."
Dept. Botany and Plant Path  |   "Oh, am I?"
Michigan State University    |       P.G. Wodehouse
niemirab at pilot.msu.edu       |       *The Code of the Woosters*
        All opinions expressed are entirely my own.