Need wildflower ID help

Dennis Wiens wiens_de at yrkpa.kias.com
Thu Jul 20 19:56:47 EST 1995

wojcik at pmsrs4.pd9.ford.com (wojcik) wrote:

>	I'm hoping there's a wildflower expert out there who can help me ID
>a plant I found in northern Michigan. I was driving through a state forest
>in the upper peninsula and noticed these flower all along the south side of
>the road. I finally pulled over and took a close look. These flowers were
>all over the place, and I noticed they had a very nice color and fragrance.
>I found some seeds and gently lifted two plants (there were literally millions
>of them) and they are doing nicely in my backyard.
>	Here's my best description of them in the hope they can be ID'd:

>	Leaves: Very downy, about 4-5 inches long, 1/2 inch wide; leaves
>		form a rosette
>	Flowers: Smallish, 1/4 inch across; reddish-brown in color; sort of
>		look like a smaller, copper-colored version of a dandelion;
>		Very nice fragrance ... similar to heliotrope to my nose:
>		flowers are on a long stalk, about 5-6 inches tall
>	Seeds: Like a small version of dandelion seeds; each has a parachute.
>	Roots: Fibrous, about 4-5 inches long

>Hope someone can ID this one. It's very nice and I hope the plants/seeds
>make it in my garden.

>Any idea on why it only grew on the south side of the road? It likes strong
>light?

> Thanks in advance.

>- Al Wojcik
>  Allen Park, Mich.

Al

While I am no expert at wildflower identification I will throw in my
two cents worth and say that you have found a "Orange Hawkweed"  also
known as a "Devil's Paintbrush".

The south side of a road in a forest might have some shade at midday.
According to my notes on Orange Hawkweeds that I have found they were
growing in a partly shaded area.

Dennis Wiens
Spring Grove, PA