Voodoo lilly

Patrick Cox pcox at cox.nsac.ns.ca
Tue Jul 25 13:52:56 EST 1995

In article <3uv81k$kk4 at newsbf02.news.aol.com> pyrola2579 at aol.com (Pyrola2579) writes:

>The Voodoo Lily is from Africa and is slow growing. We have a large plant
>in the Botany Greenhouse at the University of Washington. when It blooms
>it makes the local papers,because it is so rare. The odor is like rotting
>flesh to attach the blow-flies which pollinate it single flower.

My information says that these (_Sauromatum_gutatum_ & _S._horsfeldii_) are
from Indonesia.

How old or what size do the bulbs/tubers have to be be before they will
flower?

What is the structure a bulb, tuber, corm ....?

TTYL,              '''          Plant Science Computer Technician
Patrick Cox       (o  o)        Nova Scotia Agricultural College
~!