Violets and cancer. Comment please?

dennis goos dennis_goos at mindlink.bc.ca
Sun Jul 30 12:53:47 EST 1995

Unbelievable !- literally,unbelievable.

While I have no knowledge of the medicinal properties of violets,(which
,BTW,my dictionary defines as..."1. ...of the genera 'viola';2. ..."any
such plant except the pansy or the viola ; 3. ..."any of various similar
plants of other genera" ; 4. "a bluish purple color"),there is nothing
in the quoted material to support a belief that "violets" have any
specific medical value. The artcle implies that a Dr.J.L.Hartwell of the
U.S.A. National Cancer Institute did some experimentation with mice but
the opportunity to present his study and findings,is,
unfortunately,ignored.I have no doubt that"violets" add interest to a
salad.

It's like reading the message in a fortune cookie: no harm if one does
not commit one's life to pursuit of the contents of the message. There
is no harm in speculating about curative properties of any specific or
unknown plant. But, harm may come to those who commit themselves to
following unsubstantiated claims to cures and abandon medical techniques
that have been shown to be effective.

The author of these questions and claims had a clear responsibility to
attach his review of the appropriate literature and the results of any
properly established investigations he conducted before leaving his
readers with the impression that scientists were all off to the jungles
and ignoring a cure for cancer to be found in their flower bed at home.

And how I wish it were true ! That violets would cure cancer.!

Also,what happened to "Taxol"? Is the extract from our native Pacific
Coast yew in use for cancer treatment now? Is it still being studied ?
Is it abandoned ?

BTW, how did an "ancient" herbalist arrange for a modern publication
date ?

Caveat emptor,
dennis