Tomato VFN?

Bob Batson bob at
Mon Jun 5 15:18:27 EST 1995

kunde001 at (kunde001 at wrote:
: On 2 Jun 1995 21:09:00 -0400,
: UKurt  <ukurt at> wrote:

: >I recently bought a tomato plant that had VFN on the label.  What does
: >that mean?
: >
: If I remember correctly "VFN" refers to that particular hybrid's resistance
: to Tobacco Mosaic Virus and perhaps other diseases.  Other combinations of
: letters can be found in connection with other hybrids; the more letters (up
: to 4) the better.  I'm sure someone can give a more precise answer.

V = Verticillium resistance
F = Fusarium resistance
N = Nematode resistance

Bob Batson                              L 39 12 14 N  94 33 16 W
bob at                      Kansas City
bob.batson at                    USDA zone 5b
Under the most controlled conditions, the experimental apparatus will
do exactly as it pleases.