Trees communicates???????

kunde001 at maroon.tc.umn.edu kunde001 at maroon.tc.umn.edu
Wed Jun 7 10:21:30 EST 1995

On 5 Jun 1995 07:54:36 -0400,
OKDA  <okda at aol.com> wrote:

>To my knowledge, trees and groups of trees communicate directly, if you
>can call it communication. Trees naturally form root grafts when they are
>next to each other, and therefore are connected together. in some
>situations an entire forested area may be physically ( and chemically )
>connected by root grafts  and could be viewed as one organism.
>OKDA at aol.com
>David Alosi

Trees do form root grafts but they "generally" occur intraspecially (ie.red
oak to red oak) and not interspecially (ie. red oak to white oak).  Such
grafts are the primary mode of transmission of the oak wilt fungus from
one tree to the next.  I know of no instance of intergeneral (ie. oak to
maple) root grafting. Any info from anyone else?

Steve
Roseville, MN