Brazil, National flower?

Finn N Rasmussen FINNR at bot.ku.dk
Fri Jun 9 14:05:46 EST 1995

I was asked by the editors of an encyclopedia wether Brazil has an official
national flower. They have already tried the Brazilian Embassy here, but they
could not confirm a national flower. However, I have found some references in
the orchid literature suggestiing that Laelia purparata should be the national
flower of Brazil.

Is this true? And who has appointed this species?

Thanks in advance,
                                               Finn N. Rasmussen
                                               Botanical  Laboratory
                                               University of Copenhagen