[Q] Anther culture - Space aliens stole my mitochondria!

markradon at etoncomp.demon.co.uk markradon at etoncomp.demon.co.uk
Fri Jun 16 13:14:44 EST 1995

I have been studying A-level biology, and techniques such as anther culture have
been on the syllabus.  However, I have a query which no-one has yet been able to
solve and I was hoping someone here might be able to throw some light on it.

When using anther culture, pollen grains are dusted onto the surface of a
nutrient medium.  Occasionally, one will germinate into a monoploid plant.  My
question is:
   Where does this plant get its mitochondria from?
Do pollen grains have mitochondria? If so, how come mitochondrial DNA is always
inherited down the maternal line?

Any one know the answer to this?

Any response would be received with great interest.

Mark