Trees communicates???????

Louise Gunderson gunders at ix.netcom.com
Sat Jun 17 11:58:33 EST 1995

In <47365.kunde001 at maroon.tc.umn.edu> "kunde001 at maroon.tc.umn.edu"
<kunde001 at maroon.tc.umn.edu> writes:

>On 5 Jun 1995 07:54:36 -0400,
>OKDA  <okda at aol.com> wrote:
>
>>To my knowledge, trees and groups of trees communicate directly, if
you
>>can call it communication. Trees naturally form root grafts when they
are
>>next to each other, and therefore are connected together. in some
>>situations an entire forested area may be physically ( and chemically
)
>>connected by root grafts  and could be viewed as one organism.
>>OKDA at aol.com
>>David Alosi
>>
>Trees do form root grafts but they "generally" occur intraspecially
(ie.red
>oak to red oak) and not interspecially (ie. red oak to white oak).
Such
>grafts are the primary mode of transmission of the oak wilt fungus
from
>one tree to the next.  I know of no instance of intergeneral (ie. oak
>maple) root grafting. Any info from anyone else?
>
>Steve
>Roseville, MN

There does seem to be evidence of interspecific root grafting.  Barbor,
Burk, and Pitts in Terestrial Plant Ecology, (Second Edition, 1986,
Benjamin/Cummings, Pgs. 139-140) cite a number of examples of this type
of linkage.  They also cite a hypothesis that the grafts are occurring
via mycorrhizal hyphae linkages between trees.

Louise
Denver, CO