Help Save Bluebell Island!

Non-Print Services non.print.services at seraph1.sewanee.edu
Wed Jun 21 11:43:06 EST 1995

    Bluebell Island is located in the Elk River about one half of a mile
downstream from Tennessee Highway Fifty.  Each spring, the island is
covered with wildflowers, notably the Virginia Bluebell (Mertensia
virginica).  Harry Yeatman has found and photographed the endangered dwarf
trillium, trillium puscillum there.  The towering trees on all but two
acres on the island have never been cut.

    The island has been a target for the Tennessee Nature Conservancy for
many years and it has been high on the Tennessee protection planning
list.  It has also been a target of wildflower sellers, who have been
sneaking in to steal the island¹s wealth, and an adjacent landowner
recently tried to divert the river through the middle of the island in
order to acquire more land for himself.

    When we become the owners of Bluebell Island, we can take action to
protect it.  We can catch and prosecute the wildflower thieves.  We can
build a bridge and boardwalks so that visitors don¹t love the island to
death.  We can work with adjacent landowners.

    Funding efforts are underway.  We plan a dinner at the SCRLT annual
meeting, timed to coincide with the twenty-fifth anniversary of Earth
Day.  Noted photographer Stephen Alvarez, whose work is seen in Time and
Outside magazines, has volunteered to do a shoot on the island and help
produce a souvenir poster.  And we¹re all giving our dollars!

    YOU can make this happen.  We need to raise $24,000 by March 1, 1996
to save Bluebell Island.  The South Cumberland Regional Land Trust is a
non-profit organization, and your donations are tax-deductible.  Please be
generous.  Opportunities like this do not occur that often.

Donations can be mailed to:

    South Cumberland Regional Land Trust
    P. O. Box 615
    Monteagle, Tennessee   37356

    Please include with your donation your return address.

Thank-you for your time and consideration.
SCRLT