Oxygen to plant roots

Adrian, Glenn Murray adriangm at tui.lincoln.ac.nz
Sat Jun 24 00:29:18 EST 1995

In article <vulpia.1.0005DF8A at sonic.net> vulpia at sonic.net (Nancy Harrison) writes:
>From: vulpia at sonic.net (Nancy Harrison)
>Subject: Re: Oxygen to plant roots
>Date: Wed, 21 Jun 1995 05:52:21

>Plants "drown" just like animals if surrounded by water with no air.  The
>roots therefore need air around them to function.  I can't tell you exactly
>why it works this way, but I know from my studies of vernal pools (in Calif)
>that only specially adapted plants can survive under water for long.  Your
>garden has regular terrestrial plants that don't have these adaptations.  I
>hope this helps a little...not too scientific, I'm afraid!  - Nan

I have visited the Rimu forests on the West Coast of New Zeland, and large
areas are pure peat.  They are 100% saturated.  So does anyone know how
these fairly normal hardwoods which also grow on dry sites (though they have
800 year growth cycles) would be adapted to cope.  The temperature is fairly
low.

Glenn
Adriangm at tui.lincoln.ac.nz