Name that fungus

margaret l russell margaret at world.std.com
Wed Jun 28 18:20:40 EST 1995

I seem to have begun a fungus farm in the potting soil around my ficus.
It's lovely stuff, but what is it?  The fungus grows to about 1.5 inches
high, is a bright almost day-glo chartreuse yellow/green and almost the
same diameter the entire height.

It begins as tiny nubs on the soil and takes about a week to grow to full
height (at least I think it's full height).

What is it? Should I try to kill it off? How? Will it hurt the plant if left?

I repotted it last summer in commercial potting soil, but it was left
outside for about 3 months. Spent the winter in a south facing picture
window quite happily. Fungus growth began about a month ago, during a hot
and humid period.

    Thanks for your help,
      Margaret