Psilotum germination

mel turner mturner at acpub.duke.edu
Wed Jun 28 20:00:03 EST 1995

In article <3srtmp$qcc at rover.ucs.ualberta.ca> gpeterso at gpu2.srv.ualberta.ca (Greg Peterson) writes:
>I would like to propigate a _Psilotum_nudum_ and would appreciate any
>advice on how to do this either vegetatively or, especially, via the
>spores produced. Are there any special media required for the gametophyte
>to ensure the production of a sporophyte?

     Large clumps of Psilotum can easily be divided, but it often seems to do
better when crowded (over-divided and overpotted plants sometimes grow ok
but stop sporing for a long time).  Small pieces from  a clump taken along
with their rhizomes are very  hard to establish.    Spores can be grown, but
are very slow;  I saw a recipe by Bierhorst  that basically involved sowing
the spores into old soil in a pot of Amaryllis or other plant (The mycotrophic
gametophytes and rhizomes of Psilotum survive well in crowded  pots of other
plants, and often one sees many volunteers in greenhouses).
 mdt